Whitney Lassie • Marybeth Sudan • Macy Phenix

Whitney Lasse • Marybeth Sudan • Macy Phenix
Restoration Gateway, Uganda

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hello from Uganda!!!

Hello Hello Hello from Uganda,

I really do not even know where to begin with trying to explain my time here in Uganda thus far… I first just want to begin with saying that GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME. I am learning what this means to trust in His faithfulness even when it seems like He is so distant.

Today has been such an incredible day. Mary Beth and I footed (the African term for walking) to the nearest village, Karuma, which is about a 5-6 mile round trip. This is our third trip to Karuma. On our first trip to Karuma, Whit, MB, and I, were blessed to meet this really sweet lady named Beatress who owns a medicine shop in the village. She openly welcomed us into her store/house and talked to us for a couple hours about her life, family, and African culture. Ever since the first visit, we have been able to form a friendship with Beatress. We visited her last Saturday, and when we returned this week she was gone and her sister, Agnes, was there to run the shop for the day. After talking to Agnes for a few minutes we discovered that she is an incredible believer and follower of Jesus Christ. We also discovered that Beatress is a Muslim. We sat with Agnes for a little while and then felt called to ask her if she knew anyone that was sick who might need prayer. She answered yes and left to find her grandmother, but she returned with two people, Molly (the grandmother) and Joseph. We set up a little space in the back of the store and began praying over each of them individually. Molly was having pain in her knees and stomach, and Joseph was having pain in his ankle. We prayed, with Agnes, over each of them for about ten minutes, but there was no immediate healing that we were able to see, but God is at work. He opened up an opportunity to pray over two hurting people in the house of an incredible and beautiful Muslim woman who He desires to know and have a relationship with. He is at work in this village and He is at work in each of their lives. We are going to continue to pray that the Lord would heal them in Jesus name. This was such an answer to prayer because I have been continually praying that the Lord would open up opportunities to connect with the people here. I have been crying out that He would direct our steps and open up conversations about Him with these beautiful people. He did. He heard my prayer, and even if the result of our prayers for Molly and Joseph did not turn out the way we wanted or expected, He is still God. He still sits on His throne, and He desperately and deeply loves each of them. He loves Beatress, Agnes, Molly, Joseph, and me. God is so good.

Also this past Thursday evening, we had testimony time with some of the orphans. A few of them stood up to tell the stories of their lives before they came to Restoration Gateway. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever had to listen to, but at the same time it was one of the most joyful moments to know that the Lord brought each of them here. About four of the kids stood up to speak, and each of the children gave thanks to the Lord for bringing them to this place. Each of them gave thanks to God for food on the table, for a pair of clothes, for a bed, and for people who loved them and cared for them. One of the girls who shared her story is named Gloria. She is one of the most joyful girls that I have ever known. Gloria ALWAYS has a beautiful smile on her face. She is one of the leaders in the orphanage among the girls. Gloria’s parents died of AIDS, and after they passed away Gloria didn’t have anywhere to go. She would move from place to place trying to find food, shelter, and water. Other children would taunt her because of the death of her parents. She described being beaten by older girls for taking up too much space in their hut or asking for more food. She also described never being given clothes. When all of the older girls would get new dresses, they would say “why don’t you get your parents to buy you a new dress.” Gloria is only one of many. Each of these children has such a heartbreaking story behind them, but they are so joyful for the little that they have been given. God has His hand on each of these kids. They have been brought from a place of desolation to a place of love and restoration. How great is our God that He cares and provides for His children in this way.

So, here I am in Northern Uganda. Everyday brings new challenges and struggles, but I am learning that God is faithful and that He is always near even when I cannot feel Him there. He is using me even when I feel purposeless. I am learning to take one day at a time. I am learning that He will sustain and provide exactly what I need for each day. When I look at the big picture, I literally am overwhelmed with my own inadequacy and weakness, but God says that His power is perfected in my weakness. I am praying that everyday. One thing that He has continuously spoken to and over me during this past month is Isaiah 61 (especially v 1-3). It says:

“The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn and provide for those who grieve in Zion – to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor.”

This is what He is doing in Northern Uganda. This is what He is doing at Restoration Gateway. I don’t know why the Lord keeps speaking this to me, but I know that I have no power on my own to even get through one day. God is at work. He is raising up these children for the display of His splendor. He is calling them by name to be the next generation of leaders in this country. I pray that I even get to see a glimpse of it. I pray that I am a vessel in His hand to be used here. Even though the enemy daily whispers lies of inadequacy and thoughts of my time here being purposeless, I know God is at work in this place and in me. I pray that I am clay in His hands. There is a song called, “Nothing I Hold Onto,” that I have been listening to on a DAILY basis. It says: “I lean not on my own understanding. My life is in the hands of the maker of heaven. I give it all to you God, trusting that you will make something beautiful out of me… I will climb this mountain with my hands wide open, there is nothing I hold onto.” This is my daily prayer and desire for this time. Thank you so much for all of your prayers, encouragement, and support. So blessed in SOOOO many ways!!! Love Love Love ☺

-Macy-

3 comments:

  1. Macy, I am praying for you every day. God has a BIG plan for your team. HE is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, more than we could ever ask, hope for, or dream. Take care of those near you and God will take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. blessed. i now have a new way to pray this verse--for you! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Mace. Knew this had to be you. And love that verse!! It is one I constantly pray when counseling!! So proud of you!!! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete